Saturday, February 9, 2008

VTC with William in Iraq

Maggie and I took a trip down to the UCSD campus where we were able to do a live video teleconference with William in Iraq. We got 30 minutes to sit and talk and stare at each other. Maggie was so shocked to see his face on the screen she wouldn't move and her eyes were locked on the screen. She didn't know what to think. I eventually put her down and let her roam around the room while William and I carried on a conversation. It was great to see his face and he enjoyed getting to see me and the growing belly... "oh wow" were the words that kept coming out of his mouth. Overall it was a great morning and wonderful to see his face. I, of course was sad as time was running out and we had to say our goodbyes. To say, "I am ready for him to be home" is an understatement... I miss him terribly. You just learn to cope when they're gone and since I have only seen him in pictures since he left, I feel somewhat removed but to see him talk to me and his facial expressions just makes it real and brings up all the feelings I have learned to supress to carry on without him here. The good news is that we are really close to the end and he will soon be home. God speed my love, we miss you and we can't wait to have you home with us. Attached below is a pic I took of him so you can see what it is like.

6 comments:

Jessica said...

Oh I'm so glad to hear/see that you had a video conference!!

Laura said...

I loved having our VTC with Josh. We only got 10 minutes. I would just let the kids be kids and let Josh watch. I am glad you were able to have one- I am still in awe about 30 minutes

Meredith said...

How exciting! I know he loved getting to see you and your precious cargo!

B-Mama said...

We never had a VTC when Geoff was deployed, but I can imagine feeling really nervous and almost awkward when the time would come to talk! I think I'd smile too much with all the excitement! :) So glad you had such a wonderful visit... and that all is well with your girls! William must have been ecstatic to see them!! Blessings...

A.K. said...

oh!!! so great that you go to "see" and talk to him! I bet you were so relieive to see him and i can only imagine what he thought being able to see your belly! can he view your blog?!

Leslie said...

That is such a great post and I am so happy you were able to talk to him. You are a strong lady!! You look so small so I bet he was shocked by your twin belly. Too cute.