Saturday, February 16, 2008

Shingles

Well my friends, I could covet your prayers bc this nearly 27 week pregnant mama of twins to be has shingles :( The good news... I noticed a spot around my eye and it felt like I scratched my face. I kept watching it and when I noticed 3 tiny little bumps, I immediately went to the doctor. I was seen so early on that the when he looked at it under magnified glasses he was pretty certain it was the start of shingles but said he wasn't 100% positive . Opting to not have to go back to the doctor, he wrote me a script and said if in the morning these have turned to blisters, get this filled. So when I woke up yesterday, there was no denying it... so I started the medication yesterday and now have had 24 hours worth of it. For now, I have 4 very small bumps around my eye and that is all. I was shocked to hear shingles... I think of over 50, super stressed, fighting cancer (low immune system) when I think of the typical person who comes down with shingles. But the the truth of the matter is that if you have ever had chicken pox then you are susceptible to shingles. Shingles is the chicken pox virus (herpes zoster) that lays dormant in our body and rears it's ugly head when it decides. So while I feel mentally my life is pretty low stress... carrying two babies and having difficulty sleeping due to being uncomfortable is obviously hard on my body and weakening my immune system. As of right now... I have no other side effects other than the 4 majorly ugly bumps on my face. No pain... although about a week ago, I started getting some shooting pain in my lower back that traveled down my leg...but I associated that with pregnancy not shingles and well to be honest, it still could be bc of pregnancy! So for now.. all the horrible pain you hear of people getting with shingles and some of the rashes you may see on the internet, mine so far isn't like that... I am really hoping and praying that since I have the meds on board it just won't go there! On a lighter note...I am only potentially contagious to people who have never had chicken pox and they would really have to have close contact with me... like rub up against the rash on my face to catch it... So I am still heading to my baby shower this morning and I can't wait! Check back for pics later today. In the meantime please say a prayer for me that this doesn't get any worse!

5 comments:

Jessica said...

Oh Kerry, I'm so sorry! I will pray for your health. Can't wait to see pics of the baby shower. The invitation was soooo cute!

A.K. said...

so sorry to hear about that! can't wait to see the pictures from the shower though!

Laura said...

I am so sorry to hear about your shingles. I will pray for you.
Hope you had fun at your shower

Meredith said...

We thought Brian's grandpa had shingles once...turned out he sat on a heating pad too long and burned himself!! kinda funny now!

B-Mama said...

Oh my goodness! You're a mama carrying two with shingles!! Can't believe it, but am so glad you got looked at right away!! I will be praying for a quick recovery!!